This recipe makes some of the best donuts ever…best coffee cream mini donuts more precisely. Soft and light and airy , filled with a delicate coffee cream. They are worth the overnight rest. I could eat a dozen of these. They should replace breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe also brunch and afternoon tea. Invite some friends over and have a donuts party while making these coffee cream mini donuts. No one will complain.
This recipes reminds me of the times my mum used to make mini donuts for me. Should would make this very sticky dough that she would scoop with a teaspoon and plunk it a hot oil. And they would have all these funny shapes. Then she would roll them all in powder sugar. The donuts were so small, I could fit an entire one in my tiny child mouth. And cause they were so small, we would lose count of how many we would eat. And they were always fresh, always made on the spot, hot and airy and so delicious. So every time a have a bite of these coffee cream mini donuts, my memory goes back to my mum’s mini donuts.
250 grams flour
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
10 grams fresh yeast( or 7 grams dry instant yeast)
2 eggs, room temperature
zest from half of lemon
70 grams butter, cut in cubes, at room temperature
4 cups (1L) vegetable oil
½ cup and ½ tablespoon (125 ml ) milk
3 tablespoons (45 ml) strong coffee, preferable freshly brewed
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
65 grams granulated sugar, for dusting the donuts
Yields 16 mini donuts, recipe can be doubled
- Prepare the dough the day before or a few hours before to let the dough rest for as long as possible. Mix all the dough ingredients apart for the butter. Add the butter cubes and incorporate in them in the dough. Knead it for about 10 minutes (or using a food processer) . The dough will be soft and very sticky
- Let it rise for at least 1 hour , until it doubles in volume, in a warm draft free place. You can slightly warm up your oven at 50% then turn it off and let the dough rise in the oven. Refregirate over night.
- Devide the dough in 16 pieces, dust your hands with flour and forms small balls. Aline them on a tray or kitchen surface, not touching eachother, and let them rest for 10 minutes
- For the cream, heat the milk in a saucepan up to boiling point , add the coffee and vanilla extract and take off the heat. In a bowl, mix the egg yolks with the sugar. Gradually add half the milk over the egg yolks, spoon by spoon, to avoid scumbling the eggs. Add the rest of the milk, mix and transfer the mixture back to the saucepan. Add the flour and mix constantly untill the cream thickness. It will take 7 to 10 minutes, but mix constinously to avoid the crwam sticking to the bottom of the pan. Transfer to a bowl and immediatly cover with wraping foil, touching the cream, so it won’t form a skin
- In a large pan, heat the oil. The dought should sizzle the second it touches the oil. Deep fry about 3-4 donuts at a time, rotating to , untill goldenbrown on all siedes. Transfer them on a napkin paper then roll in the granuldated sugar
- To fill them with cream, fill a piping bag with cream and using a piping tip, poke the donut with it and fill them to the brim.
All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.